Credit is due to D, by whom I was graciously given this recipe. It was greatly appreciated and enjoyed by all. Here it is as it was sent, along with our alterations in parentheses:
2 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed (20 oz. raw, then cooked/wilted in a frying pan)
15 oz. ricotta cheese
1 c grated Parmesan cheese
2 T fennel seeds
2 T chopped fresh basil, or 2 t dried
3 garlic cloves, minced (5 cloves, of varying size though, run through a press rather than under a knife)
3 ½ c marinara or spaghetti sauce (a standard 24 oz. jar, however much that is)
32 jumbo pasta shells, freshly cooked
Preheat oven to 350°F. Squeeze spinach dry. Transfer spinach to large bowl. Add ricotta, ½ c parmesan, fennel, basil, and garlic to bowl. Season mixture with salt and pepper; blend.
Spoon ½ cup marinara sauce evenly over bottom of 9x13x2-inch baking dish. Fill each pasta shell with spinach mixture. Place shells, filling side up, in dish. Spoon remaining sauce over shells. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup Parmesan.
Cover loosely with foil and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes.
Darn shadows. Still looks pretty good here. The only thing I’d adjust is maybe more sauce, as we just used a normal 24 oz. jar.
Dessert was no big deal, nothing that I haven’t done before in some way, just slightly altered and expanded. This actually makes a lot, and so requires a 13 x 9 x 2 dish, and even then, it filled up most of mine. (I usually do a 9″ pie plate or a 8″ square pan.)
3 lbs. peach
¾ lb. rhubarb
4 T cornstarch
¾ c brown sugar
1.5 c old-fashioned oats, I prefer them to instant, as they are bigger, coarser, and bulkier
~ 1 c flour
¾ c brown sugar
1 stick butter
¾ – 1 c finely chopped almond
The peach was pitted and hacked into slices of varying thickness, no more than an inch per slice, and the ugly ends of the rhubarb were sawed off, then it was chopped into 1/2″ or so chunks. They were then tossed together with the cornstarch, spices, and sugar, and dumped into a 13 x 9 x 2 cake pan. In another bowl was the topping, all the dry ingredients mixed together first. Then the butter was kneaded in by hand, and the mixture was sprinkled over the filling, and the whole thing was baked at 375° for 40 minutes.
I think I added too much sugar in the topping, I probably could have knocked it down to 2/3 c or so. And a couple more T of butter, especially given the amount of topping, and leave the butter out to soften. (I used chilled.) More, softer butter would’ve helped it clump, as I was hoping it all would stick together and be more beady. Indeed, when slicing it, it was very, very crumbly, too much so, in my opinion. But the results were still delicious: